Clara Chime Accuses NHRC Members Of Accepting Bribe From Enugu Gov.
Clara Chime, wife of Enugu State Governor Sullivan Chime of
Enugu State, has expressed disappointment about the report of the National
Human Rights Commission (NHRC) on its investigation of her complaint, and asked
for it to be withdrawn.
“Apart from the fact that the
information was largely false, it showed lack of sensitivity in publishing
sensitive medical detail,” she said yesterday in a letter to her lawyer, Femi
Falana. “This has the effect of tarnishing and damaging my reputation. It is as
though the Commission set out to ridicule me.”
The commission, had on Friday,
led by its executive secretary, Bem Angwe, travelled to the Enugu State
Government House to investigate the alleged forcible detention of Mrs. Chime.
Following the visit, the NHRC
published an interim report on its website in which it described the issue as a
disagreement between the governor and his wife “over the procedure for the
treatment of her health challenges, which border on occasional hallucinations
and depression.”
In the letter to Mr. Falana,
she said, “I made it clear to them that I had a nervous breakdown and found it
inexplicable as to how hallucinations featured as part of my symptoms. It is
important to make this clear so that the public should be made aware of this
and that the Commission should recognize part of her ethos in protecting human
dignity.”
Noting suggestions that that
the Commission appears biased already because of the profile of the person
whose reputation is at stake, she said, “I want to believe that the Commission
would approach my case with open mind and in particular recognize me as a
victim of crime. I hope that common sense would prevail and that the Commission
should now retract the damaging publication and stop stigmatizing me.”
In her first response
yesterday, Mrs. Chime accused members of the commission of accepting a bribe
from Governor Chime to write the misleading report about her illegal detention
in Government House, Enugu.
Meanwhile, the Chairman of the
Governing Council of the National Human Rights Commission (NHRC), Dr. Chidi
Anselm Odinkalu, has denied that the Commission has been compromised in its
investigation of the complaint of illegal detention made by Mrs. Chime.
In a statement issued
yesterday, Odinkalu described such allegations as both factually inaccurate and
manifestly unfounded.
According to him, upon
returning from Enugu, the commission’s high level investigation team led by
Professor Bem Angwe, its Executive Secretary, issued a public statement on the
visit reflecting the public interest in this case.
“Having carefully reviewed the
work so far undertaken by the staff of the Commission, I find no bases in them
for the claims or speculation, widely circulated in the media, that the
Commission has pronounced on the state of health, physical or mental, of the
complainant or indeed of any other party in this case,” Dr. Odinkalu said.
He added that the NHRC takes
seriously its responsibility to fully respect the confidentiality of parties
before it and to reach its decisions only on the bases of law and evidence.
He also clarified that the team
sent to Enugu did not include any medical personnel, had neither a mandate nor
the expertise to pronounce on such matters, and clearly did not do so in the
statement issued yesterday.
“While we remain grateful for
the growing interest from the public in the work of the National Human Rights
Commission of Nigeria and support for this work, I wish to please appeal to the
public to respect the rights and dignity of the parties to pending cases and
respect the integrity of the processes of the Commission, guaranteed by its
Governing Council,” he said.


No comments:
Post a Comment